Sunday, 18 November 2012

Woo Fall Break! Sleep!

Fall break was nice and relaxing... finally I could sleep at a normal time and not worry too much about 236 assignments!

Anyways, we started into the automata and languages part of the course which I believe is the "final frontier" of 236. This is a pretty interesting concept and it ties nicely into our 207 class at this point since we just started studying regular expressions in Java.

An interesting example that Prof Heap went over was the pop machine one. How simple machines can be written using the concepts of "states" and transition states is really cool, and its just another way to look at programming. Elevators and other machines we use in our daily lives use computers use very limited CPU power and memory capacities and I understand why we try to write machines like this with very small amount of states.


No comments:

Post a Comment